You’re a first-time soccer coach, now what?
First, we’d like to welcome you to the coaching ranks! There is no greater feeling than watching your players learn and grow in skills and confidence on the pitch.
Whether you have previous soccer experience or learning along with your players, a positive attitude and a willingness to learn are all you need to begin.
As the coach, you will be responsible for instructing young players on the fundamentals of soccer, including dribbling, passing, shooting, and teamwork.
Additional responsibilities include creating practice plans, leading team activities and games, and developing individual skills. It’s important to have a basic understanding of the sport and to communicate effectively with players, parents, and fellow coaches. Additionally, creating a positive and supportive environment can help build the confidence and love of the game in young players.
Best practices for practice sessions include
- Plan ahead: Create a practice plan that includes warm-up drills, technical work, and scrimmage activities.
- Focus on fundamentals: Emphasize the core skills of soccer such as dribbling, passing, shooting, and teamwork.
- Vary drills: Mix up the drills to keep practices fresh and engaging for players. We recommend focusing on one theme per session.
- Encourage participation: Create a positive and inclusive environment where all players feel comfortable participating.
- Use positive reinforcement: Offer praise and encouragement to players to build their confidence and love of the game.
- Give clear instructions: Ensure that players understand the drills and objectives of each activity.
- Adjust to the needs of the team: Pay attention to the strengths and weaknesses of the team, and tailor practices accordingly.
- Create scrimmage situations: Include scrimmage activities at the end of your session to give players the opportunity to apply their skills in game-like scenarios.
- Evaluate progress: Regularly assess player progress and adjust practices as needed to help players reach their full potential.
- Have fun: Make sure practices are fun and enjoyable for players. A positive and supportive atmosphere can help foster a love of the game and keep players engaged.
Fall Recreational Soccer
Online registration for the 2022 Fall Recreational seasons at Burbank, Independence Park, Central, and Zachary is now open. Save $25 on your fall registration if you sign up by Friday, August 12th. Online registration will officially close Friday, August 26. The first games of the season will begin the weekend of September 10 and conclude on November 20.
The BRSC Recreational Program is a volunteer-based program that focuses on fun, not wins and losses. Players can choose to register as a pool player or form a team with friends. Recreational soccer is available to players 4 to 17 years of age.
To register, click the Register button below and select the campus at which your child will be participating and the grade they are in. On the registration form, parents can note which team their child will be playing on, which coach they will be playing with, or make a suggestion that they are placed with kids from their school or with a friend. This can be noted in the "Team Name or Coaches Name" section on the registration form.
Pre-k - 2ⁿᵈ Grade: Single Season: $137.00
3ʳᵈ Grade – 4ᵗʰ Grade: Single Season: $151.00
5ᵗʰ – 8ᵗʰ Grade: Single Season: $161.00
9ᵗʰ- 12ᵗʰ Grade: Single Season: $166.00
These prices do not reflect the $25 early-bird discount.
The success of the BRSC recreational season depends on the involvement of committed coaches. BRSC provides appropriate training sessions and all the necessary gear for coaches to have a successful season. No previous experience is required.
If you wish to coach a team, please complete the following form. Our staff will use this information to set up your team in the system. During registration, parents can note which team or coach their child will be playing for on the registration form and we will be able to place the player on the correct team.
All coaches and assistant coaches must complete a background check. BRSC covers the costs of the background check. If you are interested in serving as a volunteer coach, you can learn more about the process here.
COMPETITIVE/DEVELOPMENTALLY ORIENTED PROGRAMS
Are you looking for a program committed to player development?
BRSC Recreational Leagues are an introductory soccer program designed to acquaint players and parents with the game of soccer. As players progress, BRSC provides several options to maximize the development of children as young as five. Visit the BRSC Program Comparison page to view the benefits of each available program.
Players 5 to 15 years old who want a structured environment under the instruction of professional coaches should look into BRSC Academy. It is an introductory, competitive program geared to prepare players for the BRSC Junior Competitive and Competitive Programs.
BRSC REC PLUS
BRSC Rec Plus is an add-on program for recreational players who wish to receive additional training. Players can attend one or two Academy sessions per week (Tuesday or Thursday) to receive instruction from professional BRSC coaches.
BRSC JR COMPETITIVE
The Jr. Competitive Program is for U10 & U11 players who want a more challenging atmosphere. The program focuses on a developmentally appropriate curriculum, which includes technique, technical speed, tactical application of technique, and principles of play.
BRSC COMPETITIVE PROGRAM
Currently, BRSC Competitive Program rosters are set for the upcoming season. There are a few teams in need of additional players. If you would like to see if there are openings in your age group, please contact Alex Edwards.
BRSC Spring Recreational Soccer
Registration will close for all members on February 21 with the first games of the season beginning right after Mardi Gras on the weekend of March 5th-7th. Please be sure to register before the registration period closes as it allows us to focus on scheduling and final team formations during the period of time before the first games. If you are planning on coaching a team (new or returning), please fill out the form below.
NOTE: YOUR TEAM WILL NOT BE REGISTERED WITHOUT COMPLETING THE FORM BELOW OR RECEIVING VERBAL/WRITTEN CONFIRMATION FROM OUR RECREATIONAL STAFF.
Player Registration: https://
Coach/Team Registration: https://docs.
Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. We hope everyone has a happy New Year and we look forward to seeing you all back out on the fields!
Nominate – Rec. Coach of the Week
The success and growth of BRSC’s recreational program depend on the hard work of the volunteer coaches. Each week we will recognize the outstanding coaches who exemplify BRSC’s core values – a commitment to excellence, innovation, togetherness, leadership, and respect. All nominations will be reviewed and selected by the Recreational Director and Recreational Director of Coaching based on the criteria mentioned above. BRSC will recognize winners www.brsoccer.org and the Baton Rouge Soccer Club Facebook page.
To nominate a deserving coach, complete the following form in its entirety.
Coaches, How to Create a Team
BRSC Recreational league is a volunteer-based program that depends on the generosity of parent coaches. Serving as a coach is an incredibly fulfilling experience. The process of starting a team in one of our recreational leagues is simple if you follow the steps outlined below.
• Team Division (by grade and gender)
• Team Name
• Coach(es) name(s) and email address(es)
• Playing Campus (Burbank, Central, etc.)
• School Name (if this will be a school-based team)
- Sign up as a Volunteer Coach using our Coaching Participation Form.
- Complete your background check (this will be sent to you after completing the Coaching Participation Form).
- Let the parents of your child’s friends/classmates know the Grade, Gender, and Team Name of your team. They will need this information when they register online through the BRSC website and request to be on your team.
For more information about coaching recreational soccer, visit our Coach’s Corner.